1. Check your internet 🔌💻
Poor Wifi connection is the biggest source of quality issues in appear.in, and plugging in a network can eliminate this problem. Even if your broadband connection is good, a bad router or web traffic on a shared network may result in a poor connection. If you are in an office environment, the router may be overloaded with many users or competing with other Wifi's.
General advice when using appear.in, is to get wired and equip all your meeting rooms with network cables. This way it's easy to plug in for people having video meetings.
Cables are not just a tip for when at the office – for a more stable connection at home, we recommend using cabled network there too, as this eliminates wifi as a bottleneck, and usually gives better quality
… Urm… I'm a millennial and will never get cabled internet
Luckily, there are things you can do to improve your connection when on Wifi. Here are the top three tips for the ones living unwired:
- Move your Wifi access point to the most central location that you possibly can. The closer you are to your access point, the better your signal is likely to be.
- If you have a large office or home, consider one of the newer Wifi systems that makes it easy to setup multiple access points.
- Check and see if you are using the older, 2.4Ghz Wifi band. If so, it will probably help a lot to move to the 5ghz band (some Wifi access points only supports 2.4ghz).
2. Check for apps running in the background 👋
How many apps, programs and browser windows do you have open right now? Thought so. This is a productivity crime most of us commit at a daily basis. Our poor laptops serve as an external extension of the brain, and it feels comforting to just leave everything open... Nevertheless, browser based video meeting technologies need extra capacity.
Design programs, browser based applications, and other video streaming services are examples of tools that it might help quitting if you're experiencing bad connectivity or quality.
3. Change room size to number of people 👪
All PRO rooms come with Room size control, and the size can be changed by room owners and Members using the Room size button in the top of your screen. The Large room is designed to make meetings more efficient with how much bandwidth and battery you're using. This is made possible by our in-house media servers, which process and distribute the video/audio feeds so your computer doesn't have to! You can read more about Room size here.
4. Shut out background noise
Get a proper headset or speaker/mic system that does these two things;
- Cancels out noise around you so that you can concentrate
- Has a microphone that filters out that same background noise
Some of our favorite hardware gadgets are listed in this blogpost.
Written by Meri Sorgaard at appear.in